Useful tips on writing a narrative essaysnifram
Once you have got a task to create a narrative essay, you need to pull yourself together and start preparing, because this type of essay requires imaginative and writing skills. It is believed to be one of the easiest types of essay. Yet, students, who do not have any writing experience may have another point of view. Unfortunately, not all teachers provide clear explanations of how to create this paper, but still demand the piece of writing of a high quality. If you see that your writing skills are far from good, you can do two things. First of all, you need to study relevant material and practice as much as possible. However, this can take a lot of time and you don’t need low grades for your papers. In this case, you can use reputable services of a writing company. Its writers know your writing problems and know how to cope with them.
What is a narrative essay?
The first question you need to ask yourself is “what is a narrative essay?” The answer to this question will help you to understand all the traits of writing this essay, which can ease the process of writing.
It is possible to say that narrative essay is a personal story. This definition is true, but it doesn’t provide the full explanation of this type of essay. First of all, when you write narrative essays, you tell the story from your personal experience. Every person has a pool of memories. Some of them are quite ordinary, but others deserve to be shared with other people.
To create this essay requires a lot of concentration on the event that happened in the past. Moreover, narrative essays are written from a defined viewpoint. The author needs to include his/her feelings, specific moments and key details to make the story alive. The verbs used for writing these essays are precise and vivid. It has been already defined that a narrative essay is a story. It means that it should have such features of storytelling as: plot, setting, character, climax and ending. Yet, every story should have its purpose. You also can call it the major point. Everything written in the essay should support and explain this point. To sum up all the features about a narrative essay in your head, you need to look through this list:
- It is written from a particular viewpoint;
- It supports the main point;
- It contains precise and vivid details;
- It uses bright modifiers and verbs;
- It has conflict and sequence;
- It can have dialogues.
Narrative essays are quite different from other academic papers, first of all, because they do not have a goal to develop a higher order of thinking. However, it is also very important to pass these papers well, because they do such things as:
- Teach how to tell stories, so it was interesting;
- Develop writing and compositional skills;
- Teach how to pay attention to details;
- Teach how to involve the reader in the story;
- Teach how to analyze events and people.
Writing peculiarities of narrative essays
When you already have the answer to the question “what is a narrative essay?”, you can start studying information about how to write this type of essay. This essay, even if it tells the story, also consists of three main parts: the introduction, main part and conclusion. Yet, before you start creating these parts of your essay, you need to decide on the topic. It should fit the prompt and have the manageable plot. It is also necessary to choose the story that can grab the reader’s attention. The outline is one more thing that can be very useful when writing your paper. It isn’t an obligatory part of your essay, but it can ease your life.
How to write the introduction?
The introduction is the first part of your essay. Usually, it isn’t long, about 3-5 sentences. Its main goals are:
- to attract the reader’s attention and make him/her interested in reading the story till the end;
- Show the idea of your essay;
- Provide the purpose of your essay.
Yet, you should always remember that your introduction shouldn’t tell too much. You need to interest the reader, but not spoil the reading. You can use a few common, but very effective methods to attract the reader’s attention.
- Use a rhetorical question related to the topic;
- Use some quote that is relevant to the topic;
- Start your story with a general sentence that describes your topic.
How to write the main part?
The main part, usually includes 3 paragraphs: the beginning of the story, the middle part and the ending. However, the number of paragraphs can be changed according to the requirements given by your teacher. Many things in your story depend on the requirement, but there are a few features that every main part is good to have:
- Vivid scene and mood to follow – when you tell the story, every your sentence should make it more interesting and exciting.
- Chronological order – do not jump from one time to another, because it can confuse the reader.
- Pick the protagonist and antagonist – usually, the protagonist is the major person in the story. The antagonist is someone or something that doesn’t let your major hero gain his/her goal. If you write the story about yourself, the protagonist is you.
- First-person singular or third-person singular – if you tell the story about yourself, you should use “I”, but if you tell it about someone else, you need to use “she/he”. Sometimes, it is possible to use the third-person plural, if you have a few main characters in the story.
- Past tense – the best way to write your story is with the help of past tense. However, if you are confident that you can create it using present and future tenses, you also may do this. Moreover, it can be very interesting to read.
- Dialogues – it will be a great plus, if you use some dialogue. It will make your story even more real.
How to write the conclusion?
To create the conclusion is very simple. You just need to restate the purpose of your writing or sum up what you have learnt from this story. It is also possible to explain why you chose exactly this story for your essay.
Narrative essay examples
If you still do not understand all the features and peculiarities of writing this type of paper, you need to look through a few samples. One of the most effective ways to learn and apprehend information on how to create any academic paper is through reading examples. Below, you will find a few short samples of the introduction, main part and conclusion of narrative essays.
Narrative essay sample of the introduction
What do you think about loneliness? Do you have a good or bad attitude towards this condition? Are you afraid to be face-to-face with your own personality? Or maybe, you like loneliness and always look for a place where you can hide from the world. Silence is something that should be appreciated, because it lets a chance to relax and pull yourself together. As for me, I am the kind of person that understand how silence is precious.
Narrative essay example of the main part
When I studied at school, I believed that I was stupid, because my grades weren’t high and I was a part of the “dumb class”. To be polite, people did not use the word “stupid” or “dumb”, they preferred to call me and others like me – a student with special needs. Probably, they could call me like this, because I showed not much interest in studying and was indifferent to my grades. Over time, I began to believe that I’m not smart as others and can be only a fool. I had to accept that my destiny was to study in classes for children with special needs, but I didn’t want to do this, which was demonstrated through depression and anger. Probably, I wouldn’t be able to change the situation, unless one activity changed my life. Chess became for me the game of my life.
I began to play chess with my dad after school classes, because I had a great desire to win in chess against him. He was a great and very smart man, who liked writing, physics and literature. People respected him and wanted to get his advice. To beat my father in chess would mean that I also was worth something.
Every game with my father inspired me even if it wasn’t winning. I began to study information about chess and practice playing with my computer. I thought it could help with to develop my skills. One day, when we were on a picnic, it happened, I could checkmate my dad. You can’t even imagine what I felt. Probably, it was an ecstasy. After my victory, everything started to change. I was confident in my intellectual powers and knew that I could handle anything. I carried on playing chess and even became the member of my high school chess team.
Narrative essay sample of the conclusion
This story could help me to understand, who is my best friend and who is ready to help in any situation. After everything we had to come through, I know there is at least one person in the world, who can’t betray me. I think, this is worth much in the modern world.