Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics for Collegesnifram
Argumentative essay is a kind of work that requires reasoning and evidence to take a definitive position on a controversial issue. This is one of the most common types of essay given to students. Before your tart writing your paper, you need to select a controversial topic that can be defended or argued against. Many examples of argumentative essay topics for college can be found online to give you an idea of what you can write about.
About Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essays allow you to get what you want by persuading the audience in your point of view. This type of work often strikes fear into the hearts of even the most dedicated students. However, if you follow a certain structure and read recommendations on how to prepare a good paper, you won’t have any problems with that. Argumentative essays are important because they give students an opportunity to develop an argument in a considered and measured manner. You need to put your opinions on a certain subject in a calm manner to convince others to accept your idea.
Difference between Argumentative and Persuasive Essay
Many students wonder whether or not there is a difference between persuasive and argumentative essay. Yes, there is. The three main differences include:
- The objective of an argumentative essay is not to take some position on an issue and defend it, but rather to write a text and discuss your point of view providing good evidence.
- When writing an argumentative essay, students provide examples and reasons from the books or articles they read, their own experiences, or observations that can support their argument and discuss what they agree on.
- There should be a balance of including various perspectives on the argument with strong evidence.
Topics You Can Argue About
Often, your instructor will let you choose your topic yourself. If this is the case, it is good for many reasons. When you write your essay you need to have a desire to win and convince people that your point of view is right. Your goal is to change the opinion of the audience. In order to do that, you need to be convincing and knowledgeable in the subject you are writing about. When selecting a topic keep in mid the following:
It should be possible to win the argument in the first place. No matter how strong you feel about something, if you write about something highly contentious, you will hardly become a winner in your argument. Stay away from such topics like capital punishment, abortion, stem cell research, etc. Your instructor probably has seen many essays on these topics and it will be difficult for you to demonstrate new arguments.
You need to know what you are writing about. Creation of a strong argument requires good knowledge. You need to address all the pros and cons and present all the facts. If you have never tried parachuting, then you are not qualified to write about it. Select a topic that you are an expert in and the one that is interesting to you.
Before You Start Writing
It is important to plan your essay before you start writing it. This includes several aspects. The first thing you need to do is to choose a topic that has two contradictory opinions or different conclusions. Consider topics you are interested in because it will make it easier for you to write an essay. Lists of argumentative essay topics for college available online will help you get a better idea of what you can write about.
Remember that your essay needs to be based on facts not emotions. When you are selecting a topic you like, be sure there is enough evidence to support your argument. Look through the topic and start making a list of proofs you can use for your paper.
When you find your topic, don’t just concentrate on finding evidence for your point of view on the issue. Read about both sides of the issue and present their points. It will be useful when you start writing because you will know that the opinion you picked is based on facts not emotions.
What to Do after You Have a Topic?
- Research. If you want to write an effective argumentative essay, you need to read a lot and have an advanced knowledge on the subject you are arguing about.
- Define a proposition. The best way to be focused on the topic is to state a preposition. If you see your proposition changes as you are developing a topic, don’t worry, this is normal. Revise it in the process to make sure you are reflecting what you are thinking. Your statement should always make a debatable assertion. Don’t use vague generalizations and be as concise as possible.
- Remember opposition. You need to remember that there is someone who disagrees with your position. Your goal is to anticipate someone with a different point of view and then counter and overcome their arguments.
- Build your argument. Think how many paragraphs your essay will include and make an approximate outline.
When You Write
Like all other types of essays, an argumentative essay includes three main parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. The length of the paper depends on the task itself.
In the first paragraph, you need to present the topic and thesis statement, which is a position you are going to take on a certain topic. This section should be clear and concise.
The next several paragraphs will form the main part of your paper. There can be three paragraphs or more depending on the requirements. In the body part, you need to tell details about both sides of the argument. One paragraph should be used for every point, including the ones on the opposite side.
Since the goal of the paper is to prove your position, make sure you demonstrate more arguments to support your side. At first, present the opposing side along with strong arguments and evidence to back them up. Depending on the topic you choose from various argumentative essay topics for college essay and the length of the assignment, this could take from 1 to 3 paragraphs.
After you provide details for the facing side, present your opinion. Again, use one paragraph per point and insert all evidence to back up your argument. You can even provide examples of how your proofs refute the opposing point of view. This part of your essay should be longer than the one you devote to the point of view of your opponents.
In the last paragraph, you need to restate your opinion. Highlight that you opinion is the best by listing the most important points of your argument. Provide the strongest evidence. Usually, conclusions are a paragraph long because it is a summary of your entire essay.
After You Write Your Essay
The main part is to revise your paper and edit it. Without this step, your essay might have holes in the logical structure, or grammatical issues. If you require assistance with revising and editing, you can find a couple of tools online. Before turning in your paper, look it over one more time.
Things That Need to Be Excluded from Essay
- Emotional language. This is an argumentative essay that needs to be based on facts. You don’t need to draw audience to your side with emotions. Detail the important points of both sides of the argument and give the evidence that supports your side. Let the evidence speak for itself and people will support your position.
- Provide true evidence. The facts you provide should be true and authentic. If someone checks your evidence and finds it false, it will harm your argument. Today, it is easy to check facts, so use that when gathering evidence. Don’t make up facts that support your side and make the other side look bad.
- Cite sources. If you are quoting something in your paper, cite it. If you paraphrase something, cite it as well. Include a works cited or reference page. Citing your sources will depend on what format you use: MLA or APA.
- Make an outline. Before writing, make an outline that will include a thesis statement, a brief summary of your topic, and the main points you are going to talk about for both opposing sides of your argument. This can be very useful when you write your conclusion as well.
- Know your subject. If you don’t know what you are talking about, your argument is useless. Find out as much as you can about the subject you are writing and also read information on the opposing side to be prepared to refute opposition.
If you have problems writing your argumentative essay or difficulties coming up with an interesting topic, contact us and we will help you select the best topic from the most intriguing argumentative essay topics for college. Our experts will make sure your essay is perfect and is ready to be handed in to your instructor. Our editing services will check your essay for possible mistakes and make it spotless. Our affordable and easy to use online system is available 24/7. Our professional editors will make your paper sparkle while you sleep, so you won’t need to worry about a thing.